1 post tagged dialogue
The article that I’ve linked above states some of the very important Do’s and Don’t’s of writing dialogue.
Are you following the Do’s?
- Follow grammatical rules
- Communicate character information
- Broken up with action
Or are you following the Don’t’s?
- Going crazy with dialogue tags (he said, she said are fine, but being overzealous with other tags)
- Writing too much backstory into the dialogue
- Overusing dialogue
- Being too realistic (using uh, hm, etc)
How to improve your dialogue skills:
- Read other novels by your favourite authors.
- Listen to what natural speech sounds like.
- Read what you’ve written aloud to a friend or family member.
For more detailed information on the points listed here, just check out the blog I’ve linked up.